Thursday, July 20, 2006

This is MY bubble

This is probably a mistake given I just had a drive by blogging yesterday, but I can't resist opening up my blog for comment on the Bush massaging/groping/rubbing German Chancellor Angela Merkel. If you haven't seen it on YouTube, all you're missing is 4 seconds of Bush awkwardly grabbing her shoulders i.e. the "massage" followed by her instantly tensing up her shoulders and looking like she's about to do the chicken dance.

People are making a huge deal out of it, but I just think it's hilarious...I mean you'd think he grabbed her butt and called her an old brod or something. Tacky? Yes. Sexual harassment? No.

Bush kissed one of the other wives at the Tball event we went to and gave me a nice side hug. It's a wonder he hasn't been sick half his presidency with all the "groping" his doing. He must be washing his hands a lot...:)

This is timely "news" since today at my "support group" (I hate that term) for deployed soldiers' wives, we learned about Iraqi culture and customs. One of the funny topics was personal space. The men kiss, hug, hold hands, etc. and will stand thisclose to you in person. I've laughed at Terry when he's on the phone with me and starts yelling at them to get away from him. It's like he's shooing a dog away or something. (I'm sure that will piss someone off. hehehe)
But I couldn't stop thinking about this woman in that very class who not five minutes before would take a step towards me every time I tried to back away from her stank cigarette breath. BLECH. (No offense to smokers, it just smells much worse when it's mixed with the remnants of your last meal.) I backed up into a couch and she didn't notice that I was leaning over the arm like a terrified limbo contestant.

How about you? Any invasions of your personal space or offensive action on your part?

p.s. I apologize for the Britney Spears overuse of quotes.

1 comment:

Christina_the_wench said...

I taught this video game creation class to 5th and 6th graders last fall. One boy got within 5 inches of my face to ask a question EVERY time he was confused which was a lot. It was all I could do not to push his sorry little butt back. Parents need to teach personal space to their kids along with everything else.