Sunday, June 25, 2006

Meet the President? Check

Yup it's true. We were invited to the annual Tball game on the South Lawn and got photos, autographs and hugs from the president. (I swear, this is not a cutout. :) I only wish I didn't look so frazzled. My hair was a sticky mess by the time we met him and I had straightened it that day (normally it's curly) and the humidity did a number on it.


Gabe was asked by our group to present the President with a tshirt from the organization we were there with. (I was so honored by that request I couldn't believe they asked Gabey to do it. ) Gabe and I stood at the rope waiting for the President to make his way down the line and I was sweating like crazy. I bent down to Gabe and said, "Now remember, don't be shy, just say 'Mr. President, I would like to present you with this tshirt.' ok?" He nodded. I think he understood who this person was. So he walks up to us and my adrenaline just kicked in and I said it for him. I know, I know, I'm an attention whoring mother. I couldn't help it, we were so rushed and I was so nervous, but Gabe did hand it to him, the President said, "Oh, a tshirt" wondering who the hell we were and handed it to a secret service guy! :)

Then I said, "Gabe's dad is deployed to Iraq and he'll be home soon." Why did I say "Gabe's dad"? I don't know. I always say it like that, I guess I want people to see it through the eyes of a child without his father. Anyway Freudian slip. Then I asked him to take photos with us and sign Gabe's shirt.

What I WISH I would have said is, "Mr. President. Will you send a message to my husband Capt. R?" while videotaping and "Please get rid of the Widow's Tax" and "Please shorten deployments for Reserve component troops." But, like a job interview, I didn't say all the things I wish I would have.


President Bush was friendly and took every photo and signed every autograph requested of him, which wasn't many since it was a pretty small crowd being on the South Lawn of the White House and all, but it was scorching and he was sweating when he finally made his way back "home." I was disappointed not to get a photo with Mrs. Bush, I am just as fascinated by her as her husband :) By the time she said goodbye and I swung around to take the photo I only go the side of her face :(



The two inning game and meet and greet was followed by a picnic, "Refreshments provided by the White House" it said on the information sheet we were given prior to the event. A three piece Marine (?) band played cool summer music while we ate hot dogs, pretzels, peanuts, fruit, cookies and just about every beverage (non-alcoholic) that you can think of.

We also go to meet the lead pitcher for the Nat's, Mike O'Connor, and some of the staff at the White House.



Amazing doesn't begin to describe it!!! That's one item to check of my
"Things to do once in life" list. Don't get any ideas people, I'm not well connected or rich, just an average military family who got some good fortune thrown our way for a fun event. I should really buy a lottery ticket...

14 comments:

CaliValleyGirl said...

Wow...that sounds like a full-filled day, and definitely a nice thing to check off you life's "To Do" List.

Nicole said...

WOW! How cool! You all look great!

Heidi said...

WOW! That is too cool . . . I always say Colin's dad . . . I quickly throw in that he was my husband too . . . don't want them to think Colin was just some spur of the moment child. Hope that doesn't come across the wrong way! Did A not get to go? And you don't look frazzled at all . . . super cool and glad the picture taker did a good job . . . can you imagine how upset you would have been if it was all blurry or you head was cut off? Hope your timeline for T is getting clearer!

Silver said...

Picture with the Prez? Wow, that looks awesome!
Picture with the National Pitcher? Wow, we swept them last week. :-)






Sorry... :-P

Anonymous said...

If you look closely you'll see a caption over his head that reads: Things to do today...1. Cut taxes for the richest 1/2 of 1 percent of the people in the U.S., 2. plan another invasion of a 3rd, no, make that an 8th world country, which has absolutely no chance of hurting the U.S. or it's citizens, resulting in the death and mutilation of thousands of our beloved servicemen/women, even though I knew there were no WMD, but what do I care, it's not going to be my kid over there, 3. breathe, breathe, left, right, left, right, (Bush concentrating on doing what comes naturally for the rest of, but requires absolute determination on his part) and finally....4. Take a picture with a mom and her son, who miss their husband and dad, while smiling and pretending I actually deserve to be standing next to them...and I'll steal their oxygen even though my brain functions as though no oxygen was required at all. Let's amend the Constitution and give him 4 more years!

Anonymous said...

I know who you are and why you feel this way, but please don't use my blog to piss on a fun moment for me. I don't get very many of them these days.

Anonymous said...

I thought blogs were designed to stimulate conversation. I figured that since there was a section of your blog page that states “Leave Your Comment”, that it would be not only permissible, but a moral imperative on my part to leave my comment. Given the restrictive parameters of “Leave Your Comment”, I assumed, incorrectly as it turns out, that posting a comment under the caption that states “Leave Your Comment” would be exactly what you’re expecting. My comment was not meant to belittle or trivialize what for most of us would be a once in a lifetime meeting. I am happy that you both had that opportunity. Your post took me off guard and I reacted quickly as I felt compelled to point out the hypocrisy of this man. I apologize for “pissing” on your day. No disrespect was intended or implied. I must leave now....my flagrum awaits.

Anonymous said...

Heidi - LOL, I know, people must think I'm the nanny when I refer to Terry as "Gabe's dad" since Gabe looks very little like me, either that or I have no relationship with the man...!

Silver - hey! I thought we were doing well this year?

Anonymous - I will give you some leniency since you are a bitter/angry OIF vet. Otherwise I would kick your butt of course. I know where you live...
:)

Anonymous said...

phew. When you said you knew who anonymous is, I thought you thought it is your liberal Seattle friend...
guilt trip over. :o)
CW

Anonymous said...

Nawww. I have other liberal friends and I usually know the ones who don't leave their names...:)

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Oh wow! I have to read this!!! And I'm going to fix your link on my blog but I have to go pick up Ajers now!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Fixed the link! THanks for telling me.

Anonymous said...

Is it my pi$$-poor grammar that gives me away? Just think of how much money I spent on a journalism degree...

julie anna said...

Wow! You actually got a picture with the prez. That's closer than I got. He was here before and I got to see his fancy car drive by. Unfortunately, I unknowingly jumped in front of all the retirees and got yelled at-for blocking the view of his car.