Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Reuniting Part II

I arrive two days before he does and I’m telling you it was like a mini vacation not having any responsibilities for two whole days. I read a new book (20 Times a Lady.) I went to a movie. I had lunch with a friend. I shopped. I slept aaalllll night long. It was awesome!

The day before they arrived my battle buddy Shannon and I sat at Arby’s and talked about what it would be like to see our husbands again. She had been there for previous lifts and gave me a detailed account of how they would come in and how different families reacted to see their soldier for the first time. I started to tear up. Then she started to cry. I cried, “Stop, stop! I’m going to start crying.” All the while an angelic two-year-old girl was sitting in the booth next to us with her family. She couldn’t help playing peek-a-boo with us during our conversation and her mother kept apologizing for the interruption. Shannon laughed, “It’s ok, we’re crying happy tears,” and told them that our soldiers were coming home the next day. They gave congratulations all around.

So the big day arrives. We decided we needed something to calm the nerves so Shannon sought out the only bottle of champagne in this small town. It was terrible! (It cost three dollars, ok?) But just what we needed…We toasted in the parking lot and I actually think I got a little bit sick trying to drown the butterflies in my stomach.

Finally, we go outside and wait for the buses to arrive. There are six. Six white school buses carrying almost 300 of the last soldiers in our division to come home. As they pull up I seriously think I am going to have a heart attack.



He doesn’t know I’m here so he won’t be looking for me. We’re all screaming and clapping and waving flags and signs…they start getting off the buses and we’re standing there just waiting for them to come to us. I literally blurt out, “Screw this!” and start running (in heels) from bus to bus hollering, "Capt R!? Where’s Capt. R!?”

I get pointed in a couple of wrong directions and suddenly someone yells, “He’s behind you!” I spin around and before I can even blink he hoisted me up into his arms and I cry for a good minute.

I could tell he wanted to lose it. He wanted to cry all the tears he didn’t for the past year; for the soldiers (Iraqi and American) who were killed, for living in the suckiest of suck, for the time he missed with us, and the relief that it was finally over - but he didn't.

More pictures:

Kissing American Ground when they landed at the airport.

Trying on his gear

17 comments:

Heidi said...

What a great story! By the way, why do you have a shirt on with his gear? Great shoes by the way . . . makes my toes hurt just looking at them but hot they are. Did you tell the boys their dad was coming home or totally surprise them . . . I know, I know that is part 3 and I will just have to wait!

MQ said...

Hmmm, a shirt? I just grabbed it and said, "Hey I want to see what it's like to wear that," and put it on :)

The shoes were pretty cute huh? For some reason Blogger won't let me upload a picture of a close shot of them. And you know what? I hate heels and never wear them, I'm all about comfort, but they were actually pretty comfy. Shannon made me buy them like a year ago! She just kept saying, "Wait until Terry sees them..."

Yes, part III is all about the boys :)

Christina_the_wench said...

You DID make me lose it. ~sniff~ It is finally wonderful to hear a good soldier story for once.

Muriel said...

Can't wait for part three! The picture where he kisses the ground is a classic! Thanks for stopping by my blog, by the way.

Jess Riley said...

I've been away from the blog for awhile so this is the first time I've read of the reunion--HOW AWESOME!!!! I'm so happy for you. Love those pictures, too!

Very, very fantastic. :)

Nicole said...

Cute! I'm so happy for the two of you!!

Heather Hansen said...

*sob* :) I don't know how many more of these I can take. It's so emotional.

Cristina said...

That was a wonderful reunion story. I can't imagine how hard it was to be away from each other.

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

Good stuff. Can't wait to hear about the reunion with the boys.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Terry!

Nikki said...

oh wow.

Thank you for taking us with you on your reunion. This is so wonderful.

...and I do love the shoes.

dyzgoneby said...

Oh my *as I tear up*!!! MQ this is so wonderful for both of you.

As eveyone else said, I CAN"T WAIT FOR PART III.

julie anna said...

Tears in my eyes too! I'm just so happy for you guys :) He's safe and you are together- finally!

Anonymous said...

MQ,
the shoes are definately your style! I am so happy that Terry made it home. I bet he is looking forward to going back to a normal job to make small talk over the water cooler. Oh wait, you too! Good luck on the job hunt. I know you will find something good.

heather said...

Glad you have your hubby back. Those pictures bring back memories. Thank you for posting them.

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Okay, you got me crying here. I love the phrase "suckiest of suck"

CaliValleyGirl said...

Wow, congrats. The photos are great...and thanks for inviting us all into your reunion experience!