Saturday, August 05, 2006

Reuniting Part I

I wrote this out and it was three pages long. So I’m breaking it up into days in hopes that you will read every word. :)

Reuniting after a 15-month deployment ranks up there with the birth of my children. It was better than my wedding day, to be perfectly honest.

The families were discouraged from traveling all the way to the place they de-mobed. It's in the middle of nowhere, hot as heck, and expensive to get the entire family out there for the 5-7 day process of making sure your soldier isn't crazy and that the Army gets the bills for all their medical issues.

Terry is not crazy but he is profoundly changed, mostly by what he saw and his living conditions.

The Army is responsible for his terrible hearing and constant headaches. Wait. Scratch that. The bottom feeding terrorists who put the IED in the path of his convoy is responsible, but the Army has to pay for the damage. His hearing is so bad in one ear he couldn't join the Army if he wanted to enlist today. He looks like an old man, cupping his hand to his right ear, squinting his eyes and saying, "What was that?"

But I digress. Back to the week - being the fiscally prudent person that I am, I put emotions aside and decided to wait for him at his home station (remember, we're a Reserve family so our soldiers are literally from all over the country). But at the last FRG teleconference we got the details on how they would arrive, where they would go and where the families who chose to attend would meet their soldiers for the first time - and I just couldn't stay home! I'm never one to miss a party and this was going to be ten times that. I decided I was going no matter what - and I was going to surprise him.

I called a friend who lives about three hours north of me and she agreed to take the boys. I booked a flight that night, reserved a hotel and a rental car and in the back of my mind I knew the Army would be true to form and change their arrival date. By that time it was into the wee hours of the morning. It was rash and unlike me to make plans spawned from a million emotions, but the vision of his surprised face and me jumping into his arms was irresistible.

And about two days later I began to panic. Rumors started flying.

"They're coming home on the 1st."

"No, the 31st."

"They'll be in Kuwait on the 31st but they could be there for four days."

"Santa Claus is flying them home."

Arrgggh! Who to believe? What to do? I agonized about whether to change my flights, hotels, cars, waxing appointments, etc. I asked a friend who flies for an airline that transports troops to HELP me. He was going to BE in Kuwait on the 28th, the rumored day that Terry would depart for the U.S. He called a friend to find out if they had flights going out that day. They didn't. I called one of the commander's on his cell phone (one of ten calls in a week) to dig for any morsel of information on when Terry would be in. He couldn't be sure either. Sigh.

Feeling stressed I go home and check my email. Terry wrote:

somebody wants us out of country. I am leaving XYZ tonight
(usually takes two days to get a flight) and they say we will be leaving Kuwait
tomorrow night...Conspiracy theories are running wild, they want to keep us from
hitting the 1 year on ground mark (makes us a little more deployable) I think
they are just trying to save money.

ALMOST HOME

LOVE

Yes!!!! I scramble to bump all my plans up four days, pack for me and the boys and grab my neighbor to watch my house while I'm gone - and I'm off. After about three hours of sleep that night I catch my flight to surprise Terry.

I overlooked one teensy, weensy detail - how to explain why I’m not home. He called while I was at the airport getting ready to board my flight. I lie my ass off as to why he can't talk to the boys and where the hell I am.

Told him I was going to see the shrink and the boys were going to daycare. Lies. All lies.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Too funny can't wait for the rest . . . in 10 years you will be laughing at your lies . . . good lies of course. Can't wait to hear about the boys reaction too!

Heather Hansen said...

So I'm already starting to cry and It's only the first post. SIGH. and I KNEW better than to read this at Starbucks. I look like a sappy freak. :)

I really am happy for you.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how overjoyed he was to see you there. What a loving, sweet, romantic thing you did.

Nicole said...

Great story :)

I loved his e-mail..."think they are trying to save money"...halarious and OH-SO-LIKE the Army...must get home before the one-year mark to save $$$.

Can't wait to hear your next installment. :) ;)

MQ said...

Heidi - I thought of that. This will be one of my "craziest things I did" moments. The boys' reaction was beautiful! (Part III) :)

Heather - awww, and I haven't even gotten to the part where we actually meet..

Caryn - He was pretty excited, but had a feeling something was up after I kept making up reasons I wasn't answering the home phone.

nicole - I know! Isn't that so like the Army? They wanted him to go to a school in VA beach for two weeks after coming off a 15 month deployment!!! (It somehow would save money to have him stay on orders) Anyway, I threw a fit and was crying and just like, "I can't go another two weeks. I need you home." So he came home :)

Nikki said...

I'M SO GLAD YOU ARE TOGETHER AGAIN!!!!!!

Christina_the_wench said...

Those photos from the previous entry say it all. So happy for you guys!

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt that sending them home just prior to 1 complete year of "boots on the ground" will directly affect the timetable for which they will deploy again. The fact that the military is forced to plan in this scenario is testimony enough to what lies ahead.

Thanks for once again allowing the computer illiterate to leave comments in full costume without creating our very own blogs. Looking forward to part two.

WPJ