Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Letting the pieces fall back into place...

One of the classes offered to us couples reuniting after a deployment is called, "Putting things back together." Now, I don't want to be caught up in semantics, but it does make you think.
One, we were broken apart while he was gone. Two, that those pieces of us can fit together the same way they did before. That's the part I have a problem with. The shape of "us" individually and therefore as a family, has changed. We're not just putting it back together, we're reshaping our lives in a way.

I have few actual behavioral differences. Asher has changed the most. He'll keep Terry at a distance still. He'll wrestle and play but won't let him put him to bed and reprimanding Asher reduces him to a puddle of tears. It's very strange. I know Asher knows this is the daddy he's seen on video and photos. He begged to watch Terry on TV, tapes he made before he left when Asher was only one. And now, here he has the chance to be with him all the time and he holds him at a distance.

Gabe seems unchanged. He reads better. Whines a little more, which drives Terry insane, but really he has adjusted well. I tuck him in at night and try to capture that excitement of daddy being home again, "Can you believe it! Can you believe he's here?" A smile will replace the bedtime frown and he'll nod his head yes. I'll ask him, "How do you feel about having him home?" He shrugs and says, "Good." "Do you have any questions?" "No." And I believe him.

If only we could accept life as simply as children. Daddy is home. Life is good. Terry and I complicate it. Ok fine, I complicate it. He's home and I'm like up and down. More up days than down as time goes on. But it's like I have this unglossy view on life now. It doesn't make sense and we have only so much control over it. It's made me sad.

But today we had one of those days that ended up being so great for no particular reason. We spent the first half getting ready for our trip to NYC to visit family. Then we decided to go see Barnyard: The Original Party Animals (I must write something about this movie, it was way too intense for kids and not quite funny enough for adults). After the bizarre movie, we walked outside to a party! Not for us, but to a weekly music event that's been taking place (unbeknownst to me) at a local shopping plaza. It was funky, salsa, swing, rock music. Perfect for a warm summer evening. People were relaxing in camping chairs all over the courtyard, young adults, old couples, parents and young kids were all dancing up front by the band and we were just swept up in the energy. Terry had to grab some ice cream and Gabe, not the dancer, went with him. But Asher! He danced right there on the sidewalk until they came out with sugar cones stacked with vanilla ice cream. He grabbed his cone and just kept on shakin' his booty. People started watching HIM instead of the band! Anyway, we slowly moved up to the dancing floor and danced as a family until the band ended their set.

Finally, no drama, no stress, no anxiety, we were just an American family soaking up a summer evening...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was the most honest and open statement about what it truly is like when the men or women return after being gone for awhile. Most of teh blogs I have read make it sound like everything returns to normal instantly and that isnt how it truly is.

dyzgoneby said...

"just an American family soaking up a summer evening..."

Oh, I love those days and long for more of them. I look forward to the day when life comes back to normal...

Muriel said...

Once again you have truly captured the feelings and emotions of such a reunion. Take it one day at a time. It will be just fine!! And you are doing great by the way! :-)

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Oh that sounds awesome that you all danced as a family.

I'm sorry it's been an adjustment for everyone. You described it beautifully, and I can't imagine how hard it was to let him go, and to think it's even hard to get back to normal.

Good luck!!!

OH! And I got your milky way, but it's just regular, is that okay? I will send out soon!

MQ said...

anon - thank you.

dyz - the best advice I've received so far? Live in the moment. Then, I'm not analyzing what's normal ;)

muriel - Thank you Muriel, yes we are trying very hard to take it a day at a time. Difficult for a compulsive plan for everything a month in advance kind of person!

manic - my candy bar!!! And you know what? tonight he went to a football game with some new friends (two others who are OIF vets!) and I really did have a hard time saying goodbye!

Unknown said...

Anon--
I think the key is understanding that you never go back to "normal". It's just not possible and would be unreasonable to expect that. Both people have changed--possibly in some great ways as a result of wartime deployment. It really is getting to know one another again and finding a new "normal"...whatever that is. :)

MQ--
Best of luck to you and your family--be patient and kind to one another, and enjoy the good stuff--especially the beautiful moments like the ones you've described here! Please thank your husband for his service, and a special thank you to you and the kids as well for your enormous sacrifice.

Love,
L

Anonymous said...

I've been away for awhile and am just getting caught up on your blog. I'm so happy for you and your reunited family. I hope your re-adjustment isn't too hard on you. Hang in there. We're all thinking of you.

Christina_the_wench said...

YEAH! *clapping*

Jess Riley said...

Love that last paragraph. So happy the family is together again!!!

dyzgoneby said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dyzgoneby said...

MQ, I re-read what you wrote about reshaping the pieces again. It rings so true for those who are adjusting to life at home with our deployed loved ones.

I always assumed it would be him and not me that needed to re-adjust. I am starting to rethink this one hard. I am having a hard time re-adjusting to "us." I thought life would be rosy and I would be cheery all the time. That is not true. I find myself just as sad, depressed and crying for no reason, just as I was when he was deployed.

Thank you for writing what you did. You have made me see I am not alone in this and there are plenty of us out there going thru the same thing.

Thanks MQ!

kbug said...

Too many people believe that when the soldier comes home, all is well...but they don't think about the awkwardness of seeing someone for the first time in months, the changes that ultimately occur, the reacquainting that must take place with the family. It's not the fiary-tale ending that so many think it is or would like to believe it is...it takes time and patience and understanding. I know this from the stories my dad has told me about when he returned from WWII and from friends who have returned from Iraq the past few years...and we will face it when Seth, my youngest, returns from Iraq in a few months. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings, it helps those of us who will be going through the same thing. I hope all goes well for you and your family and that you are able to find more of those wonderful peaceful family days in the future..... :)