Monday, May 08, 2006

My day

Mondays are always my chance to start fresh. If my Monday is good, usually the week is manageable.

Last Monday I planned to begin my training for a race I signed up for. I only had two miles to run. The night before I laid out my sports bra, shorts, tshirt. I woke up on time and had Asher strapped in the baby jogger. Just as we stepped off our porch I heard running water. I turned my head to see my neighbor's window open and water pouring into the basement. I figured a pipe had burst since they had just moved out the place was completely empty. I ran Gabe to the bus stop and ran back to try and stop the water. The front door was locked so I ran around the back and found the basement unlocked. I charged in and what I saw took my breath away. The carpet was soaked, water streaked the walls, and I could hear it coming in from upstairs. I took the stairs two at a time and when I reached the kitchen I saw the faucet spun around to face the carpet and water pouring out. I turned it off and realized someone had done this on purpose. I ran back to my house surveying the damage all the way and called my old neighbor to let her know what I found.
"You might want to call your realtor and let them know"
"Call the police," she said, and gave me the non emergency number.
The police came, the contractor who was fixing up the house came, the realtor came, the neighbor came, my NEW neighbor came out of her house. It was crazy. Turns out there was water turned on all over the house, running all night long. I saw one kid sneak in the backyard the night before, a little brat who runs around the neighborhood throwing his used wrappers and Slurpee cups on the ground.

Turns out he and three other little hoodlums vandalized the house the night before. I spent all day talking to the police, doing my own detective work ;) and basically stood in awe at the damage that was done. My entire week was a mess because of that one day!

Today, after a short two hour delay I finally got on my treadmill and pounded out two miles. Then, I actually ate lunch (a rare event in my schedule) and met Gabe at the bus on time AND got Asher down to nap in time. Then, I completed one lesson and one assignment from my Dreamweaver class, something I was dreadfully behind in. And to round out the day, I actually made a delish fennel, thyme and red onion salmon dish, which Gabe found disgusting and Asher wolfed down. Kids in bed by 7:30. Doesn't get any better than that for me these days. Here's hoping it's a sign of a good week.

1 comment:

Jess Riley said...

Wow, what a mess! Sorry to hear about the waterworks. We have similar hoodlums in our neighborhood; counting down the days until one in particular leaves high school and moves out of his mom's place. Hopefully.

Or, we could move, too. LOL