Friday, June 03, 2005

Letting go

How do you let go of someone you love? How do you quarantine the worry you feel for someone but whose life often temporarily consumes your own thoughts to the point you feel crazy? I'm not talking about Terry but another family member who will remain nameless although some of you can probably guess.

I now know that all families are dysfunctional in some way, but I really think mine takes the cake. I get so wrapped up in their problems that I can't think about anything else. It's like an obsession to fix, or at least Band-Aid whatever urgent need they have no matter what it costs me. Why do I care so much about people I see maybe once a year and who call me rarely? Is it an attempt to fix myself? To wash the stain of their issues from my legacy? I know people who are able to say, it's their problem not mine, but I just can't do it. The only way I can talk myself down is if I appeal to my logic. There's nothing I can do. There's no point in wasting energy and worry on a matter I cannot control, nor should I try. It's not my place. It's not my problem. Period. It's logic, but is it right? How far are we expected to go to help people?

If anyone has that book, "The Answer to All Life's Questions" I'd like to borrow it please.

No comments: