Tuesday, May 24, 2005

How much is too much?

An $80 million home.
A landing strip for a driveway.
A 22 car garage.
Diamonds for 30 of your closest friends.
Your own power plant.
A $2 million church - it's yours.

The people who boast these things mostly live in our country and I have to ask myself how much is too much?

We all want nice things. A comfy car, a house to host friends, family overnight perhaps. Vacations, cool toys for our kids, etc. etc. But REALLY who needs a 22 car garage? (Jerry Seinfeld for those of you who are wondering) But that's not the point.

I once heard of a study that found after $50,000/yr, people aren't generally any happier with more money. So the million and billionaires aren't any happier, but more comfortable? (I don't know, all Trump's gold looks pretty chilly to me.) Are they bored and don't know what to do with all the money? Do they not watch late night pleas from Save the Children? Or maybe they do but still have millions to spare after sponsoring a hundred kids.

Before I sound like some sort of "redistribute the wealth" psycho, let me say that if you've worked for it, more power to you, do what you will with it, you probably deserve what you've earned. I look at how money is spent, in percentages. x percent on food, shelter, giving etc. That's where the real measuring comes in IMHO. And I guess when you don't have as much you feel the percentages a little more. Whose really giving more? The billionaire who gives $1million, or the average American family who gives $1,000?

Having said all this, I will never work less hard just because the numbers go up. It's not the money I guess, it's what you do with it. And here's something else to think about, all that green manifested in big houses, and fast cars, easily bleeds to red - as in a big red target saying "please rob me blind" or a tantalizing treat for a pyro.

Is there ever really too much?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, don't you wonder what actually IS in a home that makes it worth 80 million dollars? Perhaps it's the diamond-encrusted toilet bowls.

I think the really screwy concept in our society is not only the distribution of wealth, but who we choose to reward - why are entertainers and athletes so highly paid? Whose skewed value system is that?

lovies,
me

MQ said...

Methinks you right. Why ARE entertainers (even athletes are entertainers these days) so grossly overpaid? Wait, aren't we the one's who buy the tabloid rags? Guilty, your honor. But still, $20 million to play pretend? That's a little much.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am guilty, too, but I refuse to give up my Star magazine addiction in order to Make the World a Better Place.

And read my blog! I don't think anyone else is!!

xo,
me