Thursday, September 20, 2007

Stuck! Stuck! Stuck!

I'm going to tell you a little secret. I've been asked to write a book about surviving deployment. No big publisher, just a start up, and truthfully I don't think it will get anywhere far, but I can't say yes, and I can't say no. They say you should do the thing that terrifies you, well, this terrifies me. The time, the committment, I just don't know if I'm up for it. I basically feel like a failure right now, so that doesn't help. I dropped my marathon training, I haven't published anything in over a month, and my 30th birthday is around the corner. I just want to feel that energy I felt when I was in college. (Hey, it wasn't THAT long ago.) I could make my mind possess my legs to get out of bed as early as I needed to, to run or study or whatever, and honey, I ain't got it anymore. Sigh. So, I spend most of my days working, researching, writing drafts that never get off my desktop and wondering what will finally light the fire beneath me. Is this just a phase that everyone goes through because I'm a)turning 30 b) still getting back to normal after a deployment or c)always like this, life just never slowed down enough for me to see it?

7 comments:

Heather Hansen said...

D: all of the above.

;)

Write it.

Silver said...

Don't let 30 get ya down.
It actually arrives on site with very little fanfare. I dreaded turning 31, and now that it's here, I don't feel any different. Age is just a freak'n number anyways, it's about how you FEEL, so don't focus on the number itself.

How do you feel as a person? That's the real question.

Nicole said...

Exciting! I've always thought that a book written by a woman (mil spouse) giving our side of the story would be so awesome. The average citizen doesn't understand what the wives endure.

julie anna said...

You just have to do it! You know you'll kick yourself if you don't. Your writing flows easily and you have a good 'voice' and I for one, would just love to read it. Isn't that reason enough? :) You can still reach your goals...age is just a number. So what if you do it all before 31 instead of 30? Look at yourself through the eyes of a 45 or 50 year old.

Anonymous said...

My name is Mellisa Blackburn. I am a mother of three (7,4,3), and also survived deployment while being a reserve spouse. I am currently writing an article about how MOPS moms can support other moms going through deployment and their husband's are reserve. Reserve families don't have the same support as their active duty counterparts.

I would like to interview you about your experiences and how you handled it.

I live in Lakewood, Colorado and attend Metropolitan State college of Denver as a journalism major.

You can email me at m b l a c k b 4 @ m s c d . e d u.

Thanks,

Mellisa

Anonymous said...

My name is Kim, and I found your blog from Rachel and Jon's site (I went to high school with them). My husband and I are both former AF officers. While I understand your hesitation, I encourage you to go for it. I read your blog solely because you write beautifully!

kbug said...

Write it!!! Even if it doesn't go very far. I encouraged a friend to write about his experiences in Iraq. It still hasn't been published, and may never be, but he'll always have it...if for nothing else but to pass it on to his children and grandchildren someday. I was lucky enough to get to read it. [Being an editor comes in handy sometimes..... :)] His book made an impact on me, and yours will make an impact on someone. Besides, the story needs to be told.

When we were kids, my dad told us stories about his experiences during WWII. When we got older, we finally convinced him to write it all down and add pictures. It will never be "published" in any way except for our family, but it's a part of my dad's life that formed who he is. My youngest son, the soldier, has now read it a couple of times. I sent it to him while he was in Iraq last year, and he takes it with him when he goes into the field for training now. When he came into town last weekend, he spent quite a bit of time sitting with my dad talking about his adventures. That was so cool to see...my 25-year-old son and 86-year-old father connecting in a way they never had before.

So, you write that book!!! It will be important.