Friday, February 02, 2007

What is Wordwell?

I always wonder how blogs get their names. Mine came about during an attempt to start a writing business during my husband's deployment (cue laughter), but since that didn't happen and I didn't want to lose the name, I used it for my blog. It was supposed to be a name that was generic enough to elicit a range of writing jobs, but not be boring - wordwell was the best I could come up with!

Anyway, I Googled it and this is what I found:

Wikipedia
Wordwell is a small village in Suffolk about five miles North of Bury St Edmunds. The village was hit badly by the Black Death in 1348 and never really seems to have recovered in terms of population. During the 19th and early 20th centuries it was part of the Culford Estate. The Church is largely Norman but with Victorian alterations. Wordwell is also one of very few Thankful Villages, that is to say one which lost no men during either World Wars.

I was struck by the Thankful Villages part and took it as a good omen. Hopefully my husband will not be fighting any more wars, but, if so, I'll hold my blog as my good luck charm :) Then, there is that bit about the Black Death....yikes!

How did your blog get its name?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the things that makes you go, "hmmm."

A deity or god is a postulated preternatural being, who is usually, but not always, of significant power, worshipped, thought holy, divine, or sacred, held in high regard, or respected by human beings.

:-0

Nicole said...

That's a good question. Umm...well I was trying to think of a phrase that would describe me and because I've always been called things like, "skinny-minnie, small, petite, shrimp" (I'm 5'5 but have a small frame) I decided that itzy bitzy might be appropriate. Corny, I know. :) So that's it.

Ashley said...

I love those shoes in your avatar!

kbug said...

Well, to make a long story short, I was born with this mole on my neck. My dad always teased me when I was little saying it was a bug and he started calling me kerrybug. It just kind of stuck...even after I had to have it removed several years ago. When I started commenting on other blogs, it just seemed like the name to use, but I decided to shorten it a bit...thus, kbug. So when I started my own blog, it just seemed right to carry it over because people already knew me as kbug. So, there you have it...... :)

Nikki said...

I got tired of people sending me hate mail over stupid things....so I renamed it, and I don't get much hate mail these days (snicker)