Monday, January 29, 2007

My weekend - no I can't think of anything more creative than that

Last weekend we went to a wedding. Over the past week you would have found me muttering at random, "who gets married in the winter?" - anger at the bride and groom because I had nothing to wear to a winter wedding. ( I ended up with a sleeveless, light blue dress worn only once when I was pregnant with Asher, to our last law school event, covered with a wrap.)

About half way into the 5+ hour drive I looked at the cover of the book I was reading - A Wedding in December. Huh. Irony. (It's January, but close enough.) Needless to say I finished the book during the ten hours of driving there and back, and I realized I finally have a favorite author - Anita Shreve.

I've read several of her books; The Last Time They Met, The Pilot's Wife, All He Ever Wanted, Light on Snow, but none of them really got me like Wedding did. I guess because I'm in this place of remembering, and the story was about a group of high school friends who gather, 27 years after graduation, for the wedding of two of the group. Their friendship is bonded and haunted by the death of one of their classmates just before graduation. It's a great story, and I love how Shreve inserts these great words like, "enuii" into her text.

A work of fiction by one of the characters was included and at first I was turned off by the story within the story at random in the chapters, but I ended up almost more curious about that story the the first one!

Anyway, the wedding was beautiful, but I didn't know anyone and Terry and I kind of regretted making all that effort to get out there. At least I got to finish my book!

Oh, and work is good so far. It's so nice to have something productive to accomplish during the day and feel no guilt about plopping in front of the TV for an hour at night. It's 25+ hours a week, just enough. And if I have trouble getting out of bed at 6:30am, I just remember that I'm working for the military and it's families!!!

Have a great week everyone!

2 comments:

julie anna said...

I miss reading real books...read another one for me, k? And congrats on your job! (If I haven't said it yet.)

Anonymous said...

Hey, congrats on the job! I want to call and congratulate you, but I have been working late nights and by the time I leave, I am worried you will be asleep. Darn time difference.
Hey, whats wrong with January weddings? Ok, a cold January wedding might be hard, but a warm tropical one sounds ideal...