Wednesday, January 17, 2007

It's raining jobs...

This is going to be quick and dirty.

The last week has been crazy for me. After about 30 resume submissions and about as many rejections/no answers I got THREE job offers last week and one yesterday. WTF? Feast or famine, right?

I agonized over my options:
#1 A nonprofit in the city, decent pay, about an hour commute, would have to wrangle for flex hours to be home when school gets out. It would be rewarding, challenging, a perfect career move for me. But I didn't have any emotional pull to it. AND they were dragging out the second interview and decision for over a week, all while saying I was the "top candidate."
#2 A nonprofit local to my home, crappy pay, 15 minute commute, set my own hours, can be home for kids whenever I need. Very rewarding, helping the military community, total new set of skills, not a challenging job, not within my career field really (though writing skills are paramount), I know people there, feels more like family than colleagues. I've volunteered for them before.
#3 An editor of a small magazine covering minority businesses, NO telecommuting, a micromanaging boss, part time, didn't get far enough to know the salary, but he's interested in a story I wrote to try and seal the deal and rush a decision, and he asked me to profile a TV personality that you may know, (but I can't say), which of course I jumped at the opportunity to do :)
#4 A nonprofit internship - just called that as a way to get me paid to work on a very specific project. They've helped me lots, I would do it for free and may still if the "intern" stipend will cover my babysitting costs.

I chose number 2, with the hope of upping my pay, and getting a better title. I didn't get either, but I don't think I could find a more flexible job or a place that I would rather be. Anyway, that's only the half of it.

THEN, there is the daycare situation. I bawled for about two straight days about putting Ash in daycare. It's only three days a week during school hours, but it's a big change for us. I've been home with him for three years and managed to hold down a full telecommute job for half that time, but this is the big step into preschool for him (and me). It's the end of an era. :( Oh, and I'm terrified he'll be sick for the first 9 months.

Send positive vibes my way...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I think it is much more rewarding to go for the position that fits our hearts and lifestyle, even if it starts off on the low end of the payscale (that can change quickly enough). I am so happy for you. :-)

Oh, and Ash will be fine. We think of day care with horror but the reality is he is getting to the age where it is really fun to be with other kids.

Unknown said...

Blessings on this new journey for you M., with your mother heart, you'll know how to balance it. I'm glad you chose the option you did--I think you picked the best one for you and your family.

Hugs,
L

MQ said...

Marie - thanks for the affirmation. I feel pretty good about it (though I haven't started yet so all that could change :) I think Asher will have a lot of fun. I know I'm the one with the fears :)

Lara - Thanks!

Nicole said...

Alright well...that's great because before I continued reading and saw that you chose #2 I was going to say that, although I don't really know you, that one sounded really good. (of course, it would be even better with a pay hike ;) I worked with soldiers at our last post and I really enjoyed it. You will have so much to share. Good luck!!

Muriel said...

Congratulation on your new job and on following your heart vs the paycheck! I feel your pain about leaving your little one in daycare.....I still struggle with taking my baby to preschool! :-)

Household6 said...

Congrats and good luck on the new job!

kbug said...

Great choice on the job.....I liked it as soon as I read it and was excited to see that you took it. I can't really send any positive vibes about daycare, I was a stay-at-home mom (except for a few months here and there part time) until all of the boys graduated from high school. The person that says that your kids don't need you as much when they get into school is an idiot and must not have kids. Sometimes I think they need you more then...or should I say you need to be there more then so you know their friends and what they're up to after school...... :) However, I don't think we would have been able to survive if I was trying to stay home on my hubby's salary today. The nice thing about your job is the flexible hours, they're a Godsend for working mothers. Hang tough, girl!!!!