Monday, August 28, 2006

A woman's work

So I get a phone call today about a job opportunity. No big deal, I keep my resume circulating just in case someone has a job opening for oh, I don't know, a speech writer for the president or something like that (which of course I'm TOTALLY qualified for).

But this wasn't another one of those contract/temp jobs that would only be a paycheck, a lot of anxiety and hours commuting/cursing/guzzling my breakfast from an insulated cup. This job is close to my home, on a base (love my base), pays commission, is with the MWR (that's Morale Welfare and Recreation for all you civilians. They're the people who make sure soldiers and families have a little fun once in a while) - in other words, something that would actually get me out of bed in the morning, something I would probably volunteer for to be honest.

I loved working with the military and civilians as an FRG leader while Terry was deployed. I knew I was making a difference and people actually appreciated me. I would think, "Gee I wish I could get paid for this." And poof! Here is something very close to that wish coming true (and ironically I would have to give up my FRG position to take this job).

So what's my problem? This:

And this:


Taking a full time job means no more lazy days putting lipstick on Asher to freak his father out, no more trips to Seattle any day of the week, no more summer days waking up and saying, should we go out today or stay in and read, watch movies and eat pizza? Who will greet Gabe at the bus stop or take Asher to that filthy play thing at the mall? Who will plan meals and go grocery shopping and volunteer at the school so that in the evenings and weekends we can have real family time?

I know I didn't invent motherhood, but sometimes I feel like the first person to ever have to send my babies away for 45 hours a week. And before any bitches leave snotty anonymous comments on my blog, let me just say that I have made that choice before and I realize that I am privileged to even have a choice, ok? I grew up with a mom who lived on welfare, had to quit college to raise me and was forced into stripping to pay the bills.

I'm kidding. She had too much pride for welfare.

When Gabe was just about Asher's age we had to put him in full time daycare because I was in my last year of undergrad and Terry was in his first year of law school. Our schedules overlapped too much to do the "baby swap" we had managed by alternating our classes before. Plus we had moved to the other side of the state and we couldn't bum any more free daycare off our families.

It wasn't so bad with Gabe because there were too many compelling reasons for him to go. Actually just one - a full scholarship. I wasn't about to give up a free education just so I wouldn't have to kiss his curly golden head goodbye everyday. Der. I'm not an idiot. Not that I wasn't angst ridden about it. But I knew it was worth it. It was an exchange. Here he is now, a well adjusted child, taking G&T classes and an aspiring engineer (he doesn't know this yet).

Today there isn't anything tipping the scales to help me make my decision other than my self esteem and more money. It would be nice to get a bigger house, 'cause this two bedroom living is really cramping us all, but THAT was an exchange we were willing to make to have one of us home with the boys. We rent this small place because the only way we could afford to buy in this ridiculous (and mercifully declining) real estate market is IF I worked full time.

I thought I was ready to work outside the home. I feel the need to be contributing to the world in a different way, particularly the world my life revolved around for the past year. But am I just mistaking all this pent up energy from the deployment for actual ambition?

Then I was reminded of an obituary I recently read.

Kathryn Frost was the highest ranking female in the active Army at the time of her retirement. She died last Friday of breast cancer. In her obit she is quoted as saying,

"Most people wanted equal rights, but no one was asking for equal
responsibility. Commitment requires sacrifice. Somewhere along the line, to be
successful, one has to establish priorities and make choices."

Commitment. Sacrifice. Priorities. Hmm. What a concept. That's the part I always forget when I think I can "have it all." My children are my priority, but obviously there has to be some balance with them and the rest of my life, otherwise they would always get the last bite of my donut after scarfing down their own in two seconds flat...greedy little bastards...

After swallowing this insightful but bitter pill, I felt like I could at least make this decision with my eyes wide open.

And then it hits me. Frost didn't have children.

Shit.

Thoughts? Anyone?

12 comments:

Nicole said...

From an as-of-yet childless female, I completely agree (of course, for what it's worth...) with Frost's statement. I've thought and re-thought about what kind of decision I will make when the situation presents itself and I am always torn. I love working because I'm a worker-bee to the bone...gotta be busy, gotta be talking, moving, but it would be a sacrifice. I feel like you can try to "do it all" but you might end up not doing anything 100%, you know? At least those are my worries...all of this from someone who isn't even a mother!

Household6 said...

We are two of a kind working on a full house here but at this moment being without a job drives me nuts.

Each person is different but for me staying at home beyond the first year is not on my track of how we want to go. I'd like to be able to do both and hopefully I will.

What about school? Are they all in school yet? Also if its a MER job you may be able to work an early schedule. I used to work a 0630-1500 with a 30 min lunch. You may have to drop them at before school care but then you could be home when they are.

Rachel said...

You could always try it and then quit if it doesn't work out! I can't wait to have sweet babies of my own. I've always planned on staying home, but sometimes wonder if I'll long for that sense of independence and a little time away from my family each day.

Anonymous said...

I say go for the job. It sounds like you have spent a wonderful few years being home with your kids, and you shouldn't feel guilty about doing something that will bring you some personal fulfillment. I've always believed that happy parents raise happy kids.

Christina_the_wench said...

Hard decision. Work is MY way of saying "I love you girls, but god help me if you fight over the computer and the phone ONE more time I will kill you both, so I must go away for hours during the day for your survival."

I love life. Good luck, girl!

Nikki said...

Tough choices.

I'm much the same as Christina in this - I can't handle being at home all the time. I love and treasure that time, but it can't be where I'm at all the time. I have to have grown up space.

The answer is different for every family.

If you should get a job at the writing speaches for the Prez....could you hook me up? LOL

CaliValleyGirl said...

I have no advice, I just wanted to say, what a great post. Really, you are such a talented writer.

MQ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MQ said...

nicole - I think it's smart to mentally prepare for the situation because then you're not wringing your hands and wailing with kids in your lap - like me! :)

HH6 - My hubby loves your screen name, btw. And your plan is exactly what I'm thinking of...

rachel - someone else said that too! I don't know, I have a hard time with that, but I'm going to take it a day at a time (when I do commit to something) and not be so hard on myself if it's adversely affecting my family, and have the cajones to quit.

sweatpants mom - On Craiglist (in my area) you can walk outside and spit on a part time graphic design job (isn't that what you do?), I knew I should have beefed up those skills... :)

melanie - I think that takes guts too. My scholarship was just too good to pass up. They paid for my daycare for goodness’ sake! :) And you can always go back. I still tell my mom that...

CTW - LOL, no crap! My boys fight over action figures and Legos and I'm always threatening to throw them away, but then I think, "Damn, those were expensive" and end up hiding them for months and months!

Calli..girl - Thanks! That's always good to hear...too bad I can't blog for money...still holding out for the White House :) I think GW good use a blog to boost his ratings.

MQ said...

Oh crap, I didn't mean to be insulting Mel! Sorry! I just say that to anyone who mentions putting off college...anyway, I hope you didn't take that negatively ;)

And I meant GW "could" not "good" use a blog in that last comment ::smacking head::

Muriel said...

Great post again.....I say wait for that speech writer position...you can do it from home right? You are facing an impossible solution. I have been there....I am there again and I still do not know myself. I do not know you but I can feel your pain. It was very hard for me to stop working and rely financially on my husband (he is a GREAT guy and couldn't care less...). My oldest is now in middle school and when I saw her at their first dance I asked myself "where did the time go?" I know that I can alwasy go back to work once they all grown up but I will NEVER be able to get that time with my kids now. If I do not spend my time with them now when will I? So I stay home, read post like yours, wonder if I should go back to work, go kiss my kids and LOVE the fact that I am a mom!
PS You have great writing abilities and should consider writing a book....I'll buy one!

julie anna said...

It's a tough decision. I stayed home with my girls while they were little and then decided to go back to college as they got a little older, which is where I'm still at. They grow so fast and I'm glad I realized they would. Of course I got 'my' time with dance classes and going out with friends,etc. If you do go to work, embrace it. If you wait, embrace that too. Is there any chance they would need you part time or partially work from home?