Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Terry's sixth sense

I have a story for you.

When Gabe was five years old Terry dreamed Gabe had a heart problem. The next morning at Gabe's five year check up, the doctor heard a heart murmur. It turned out to be nothing serious, but when I called Terry at work to let him know we had to go in for an echocardiogram he fell dead silent. He asked if I was kidding. I said no and asked him why would I joke about that and what was wrong with him. He told me about his dream and I got really scared. He called Gabe's doctor and wanted to know everything, even telling the pediatrician about his dream (and assured them he was not insane).

Prior to this he had another dream "come true." That's now two specific dreams in a year that had hinted at an experience that would occur next morning.

This morning I woke up to an early call from Terry. He said, "Something bad happened." I immediately sat up and asked him what. He told me what happened, which scared the hell out of me but was glad to hear he was fine, and he said, "I had one of my dreams." I wasn't following. He spelled it out, "I had a dream about [situation in war that had just happened] and it came true. It was so vivid, I knew it was one of my 'dreams.' "

In his dream he had run out to give support in a firefight and forgot his gear (all I'm thinking is - body armor, body armor, body armor.) There were other details in the dream, but the point is that I realized that the dream may have saved him. It made him stop and make sure he had everything before going to do what he needed to do.

I got a little crazy and started to cry. It was a terrible reminder that he's still in danger and people lunatics spend their days thinking about how to kill him and the rest of our troops. But my sense of humor was not wounded, "Please don't ever tell me if you dream about me ok?" I asked.

So, three times is a charm. My husband has a sixth sense. Now if only I could get him to read my mind...

4 comments:

Heather Hansen said...

I have that ALL THE TIME. Pretty much all my dreams come true. VERY WEIRD. I wonder what it is. :)

Come home safe Terry!

Silver said...

That's a gift he's got. I had many of those kinds of dreams happen to me as a child, but saddly not anymore.

In one, I truly believe I saved my cousins life. I dreampt him and his wife went to the cinema's, where he was mugged, then murdered.

I didn't know what to think of the dream, so I let it sit. Until I talked to him one evening, and asked if he was planning to see a movie anytime soon. He said he and his wife were actually planning on seeing one. I begged and pleaded with him not to go, and to wait a while. He did, and he's still alive to this day.

Oh there's that, and I knew about their 3rd baby before anyone told me. Freak'n weird, but cool!

julie anna said...

I believe in the sixth sense thing too. Maybe he'll dream about you guys winning the lottery soon!

Nicole said...

Wow. That's scary! I have often wondered what my dreams mean...I always remember them vividly when I awake and I always find it funny how certain people find their way into my dreams while others never do. Deja Vu...I've often dreamt something long ago and then it happens and I swear it happened before but it was only in my dreams...scary. :(