Friday, April 21, 2006

Class in America

Oprah's show today was about class in America. No, she wasn't talking about the avalanche decline in public behavior with Paris Hilton as the resident expert. It was an eye opening, frank discussion about the rich, the poor and the rest of us, who apparently are quickly being absorbed into one of the two extremes.

I caught only half of it, but the most interesting guest was the granddaughter of Warren Buffett. You know, the second richest man in the world? Worth $40-something billion? After college, his heirs are cut off. They get no money. She works for a family less wealthy than hers "organizing things" for them (whatever that means) and painting. She seemed very well spoken, smart and maybe a little embarrassed at her situation. Juxtapose that with Jamie Johnson, of the Johnson and Johnson family, who is rebelling by making documentaries such as The One Percent and Born Rich, exposing his tight-lipped world of the wealthiest one percent in society (using his father's money of course). Daddy Johnson is none to happy with him about that, but apparently not upset enough to go all Buffett on his, uh, butt.

A few things about the show disturbed me. One was this hint that the very wealthy are to blame for the very poor being poor. The expert made a good point, that the old money continues to pass down to the heirs and continue to make money, so it doesn't exactly trickle down to the middle or lower class. But if you are hinting that our country should MAKE people give their money to the poor...well that's just unthinkable. I'm going to work my butt off and no one should be allowed to tell me what to do with it. I believe in philanthropy, but I'm not going to legally punish those who don't. Make sense?

The other was a black man who when asked if he thought there was a chance for his son to be rich in America, he looked at his son and said, "He got no chance to be a rapper. He got no chance to be rich." So sad and so GOOD that Oprah pointed out that his view of wealth was limited to 50 Cent. Why couldn't his son be an entrepreneur, a biologist, an architect, a cop, a soldier, a businessman, an artist, a lawyer, a doctor, a teacher, etc? I disagree with any notion that you can't get to where you want in America. Sure, we all have challenges, but we also have choices. I had the same opportunity as my sister and brother (the two right below me in our family of six kids, ages 24 and 18, respectfully) yet they made choices that lead them to be sans high school diploma and I made the choice to go to grad school.

That leads me to my last point. I was actually scared by the expert's statement that the biggest determination for what class you'll end up in - are your parents. It seems obvious. They determine where you go to school as a child and that leads you to a certain quality of education and the odds that you'll go to college (or the value you see in college). But it's so scary that millions of kids will fall into the cycle of their parents lives. Not so bad if you're born rich, but daunting if you're born poor. And that's not just about money. It's about quality of life.

For reasons I don't know, I wanted more than six kids and a trailer. I wanted more than making ends meet and my siblings so far, haven't. I don't get it. That's why I think poverty is really a state of mind. I don't think of myself as poor. I want more out of life for myself and my kids.

10 comments:

Nicole said...

I agree--although that was challenged a bit yesterday when I saw that the former CEO of Exxon is cashing in to the tune of $400 million...

But yes, I agree that hard work and belief are what makes us who we are...it's about about individual choice and responsibility. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah! I heard about that. Well, like you said, it challenges a belief in capitalism, but I'm sure we could find some other way to impeach Exxon besides simply saying they're too rich and should share the wealth, right? :)

Heather Hansen said...

That was very well said.

I have nothing to add. :)

CaliValleyGirl said...

Amen.

The book Freakonomics has some interesting statistics about achievement in relation to parentage, etc.

It is very hard to break out of the cycle, especially when your father's definition of acheivement is being a good athlete or rapper.

However I totally agree with you that the successful shouldn't be punished for their own successes. What incentive would that give anyone?

Household6 said...

Well wait I think to a certain extent my parents had a effect on my standing. My father told me as a child over and over I could anything the boys could do (I was the baby sister). I also knew that I would finish college and now almost finished with grad school regardless of my love life - I wanted to earn my own living or at least have the ability to if I had to.

Our family is middle class, not rich not poor. My brother and I are the first generation to earn a college degree. So they had an effect on our social standing by attempting to encourage us to want to improve and better ourselves.

And if this guy who said his son can't be rapper and will therefore be poor, what about Martin Luther King or Gen Powell? Both black both from middle to lower middle class families that have nothing to do with music or sports - they can't be role models?

Alright before I hijack you comments with a book - good, thoughtful post.

HH6

Anonymous said...

I couldnt agree with this more. I saw the same episode and I thought the exact same things as you.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I dont think there is really an excuse to be poor in america. Maybe not as well off as others, but no excuse to be POOR. People say they cant afford college, well if you cant afford it, then get grants etc. to pay for it for you. I think its just a general lack of knowledge that makes some poor people stay poor, they donw know or understand the different outlets to help them change their lives.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I wish I'd seen the show.

I absolutely agreee that we can choose our own path in life.

We are our choices.

Anonymous said...

MQ - wasn't your education FREE - funded for you because you are BLACK?

MQ said...

How about this? You don't hide behind anonymity, ask a real question and then I'd be happy to talk about my education and how you can get one too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Melanie. I'm just hoping that person would like to leave their name and address so I can send them my student loan bills. It would give their asinine statement SOME truth...