Saturday, March 18, 2006

Live blogging Gonzaga v. Indiana

There are three times that you will find me caring about sports; the Summer Olympics, World Series, and when Gonzaga enters March Madness.

The score is 52-46 Gonzaga and we're just into the second half. I'm so nervous. Oh, did I mention that I'm following on the link provided with this post since I don't have access to the game?

k, moving on.

52-48 Dammit JIM! This is so stressful! Terry couldn't even watch back in the day when we actually lived there, he couldn't handle the pressure.

TV Timeout. This live blogging thing is fun for me, is it for you? It must be a little strange since you can actually follow along with the professionals who know all the stats like, "The Bulldogs have never lost on a sunny day when Coach Few is wearing red socks..."

Whoo hoo. We're back and we scored! 54-48 Bulldogs baby...

58-51 Still GU. I'm getting stressed out here.

Indiana timeout.

I never played sports. But a couple of days ago a guy asked me if I ran track in high school. Three things ran through my mind as I paused that lifetime of a pause that actually only lasts a microsecond; Is he going to hit on me and say how great I look for having a kid, which I'll, of course, very coolly add that I also have a seven year old thinking he'll be even more impressed by my strategically hidden flaws, but he'll actually think I was a teen pregnancy case and he'll awkwardly walk away embarrased that he hit on a slut? Does he think I just graduated from high school? He's a lieutenant in the Army, what a perve!

Oh crap I'm falling behind, some free throws yadda yadda...we're still ahead 64-55. Whew.

Back to my story. Then he says, "I ask because your son took off pretty fast there" and chuckles. Asher ran away from my lunch date ( a woman people) while I was taking a call from Iraq. I see her dashing after him a little panicked and I'm laughing my butt off because he does this to me all the time. Asher thinks it's hilarious to see grown-ups panic. The officer had a toothy grin and looked a little old to be an Lt. ( I know these things because my husband's been in for, like 100 years. Ok 12. But it's cool to know this stuff. Hey we all need to feel smart!)

Indiana misses a freethrow, we rebound, time out. Still 64-55.

We're back and Morrison sinks one. It's 65-55. 7:43 left people...let's seal this deal!

72-60 5:31 left
74-63 Does anyone see that they're creeping up on us?
Indiana calls a timeout.

Ok, I need to finish my story. So the Lt walks away and I turn to my friend like, "WTF?" why did he even talk to us? I mean, don't men only talk to women when they want to hit on them or they know them, or both? Do you mean to tell me he just wanted to say something to us for no reason whatsoever? I don't know. It was just weird. It mostly bugged me that he asked about High School. Why didn't he ask if I ran track in college? Do I look THAT young? I don't think so. I mean it's good to look young but as my kids get older I just get -

74-69 Bulldogs

- people doing silent math after I tell them the ages of my kids. Ah well. Better a slut than an old hag I always say. Yup. That's my motto, put it on my tombstone.

Oh we're on timeout btw. Does this actually qualify as live blogging since I'm not actually watching? If a tree falls in the forest....?

GU is 28-3 entering this game and Indiana is 19-11. I'm assuming nothing about this game though. I met Mark Few a couple of times. Both in the gym. Once he shook my hand just a leeetle too long, youknowwhattamean? Nice guy though. I could tell by those two encounters where no more than five words were exchanged. My brush with fame. sigh.

2:47. Almost there...

I feel kinda bad for women's college bball. Does anyone watch that?


2:36
69-77
GONZAGA
Derek Raivio missed Free Throw.
2:36
69-77
GONZAGA
Derek Raivio made Free Throw.

How does that happen?

81-72 1:15. Whooo hhoooooo!
85-
86-
87-

89-80
90

This is taking for-ever.

Count with me 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1. Bulldogs!

So what happens next? Well, we're either gonna play the Alabama Tide. Wow. They sound about as fiersome as the Syracuse Orangemen (who, btw used to be PINK.) Or, we'll face off with UCLA. Gulp.

Dammit, now I'm live blogging Tide v. Bruins. It's 58-60 Bruins and seconds from the end of the game. 59-60, lordy I wish I was watching this game it must be insane...59-61. So we're playing UCLA. Oh well. I believe in the Bulldogs!!!

No comments: