Monday, February 06, 2006

What brown did for me

I have brown eyes, brown hair, brown skin. When I was a child I wanted blue eyes, blond hair and white skin. My skin was the color of poop (as one kid told me) and dirt; blue was the color of the ocean and the sky.

I think this mental self-deprecation started when my mother moved my sister and I from all of our family in San Diego to a tiny Oregon town not too far south of Portland where we joined a cultishly conservative, mostly white church. It was where I have my earliest memory of knowing that I was black (at least that's how I was always identified at school, only to ask more questions later and realize that I am multi-racial, including Irish!)

My mom is Hispanic but passes easily for Caucasian, but my father is black (and not involved) so my sister and I usually caused a head turn when we were with our mom. More than once people asked if we were adopted. To this day I've never spoken to my mother about these issues of feeling ugly and not like I belonged to her. She married and cranked out four kids that look nothing like me . But I'm digressing into familial issues that we all have on some level.

My mom would bring home those bulky, old film projectors from the school she assisted at (I knew how to wind and load an actual movie film strip!) We watched The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman and it spurred me to read more about black history (didn't know it was a book, at the time and like many others I thought it was a true story). I was already a nerdy reader so it was no big deal to pick up a children's biography of Martin Luther King Jr. I still have it. Inside the cover my full name is written in the best cursive my learners hand could muster.

I cried when I read MLK's story. My eight year old brain felt for little Martin when he reached a certain age and his friend's mother told him they couldn't play together anymore. His mom explained it was because he was black and his friend was white.

I may have better appreciated my roots from the exposure to black history, but I would still wish away my curly hair to be straight like my friends'. I wanted to get feathered bangs and run my fingers through my hair. Instead I usually had a halo of frizzy, wisps of curls, which my husband now calls angel hairs. ( I know, I know sappy sharing here). I wanted my eyes to sparkle but they looked like black holes to me. And I had a skinny body that elicited cruel comparisons to the children who suffered in the 1980's Ethiopian famine. (Seriously)

I think if child/teen body hatred had been christened Body Dysmorphic Disorder as it is today I would have been diagnosed and put on some medication. LOL. I say that not to show how bad my self loathing was, but to point out how ridiculous it is that we label everything a "disease," because I grew out of it just fine.

High school and beyond dramatically changed the way I view myself though. I embrace both of my primary backgrounds. I may not look like one or the other, or speak like one or the other, but I'm a well put together combination if I do say so myself.

It's ironic that women paid hundreds of dollars for bad perms in the 80s and I hated my curls, which I now see as having the best of both worlds. I can straighten it easily with an expensive flat iron or wear it curly depending on what In Style declares is "in" LOL. I don't have to tan or worry as much about skin cancer. My husband and Gabe have identical shades of brown eyes, and Asher and I share a tone as well so how can you look in those and think anything but beautiful thoughts, huh? And being skinny, well, let's just say it gave me an edge when I had my kids. The average woman keeps five pounds of the weight she gains from each child. I am no different only I started at just about 100 lbs so I probably could have used the ten extra I now have. (Ladies, please don't hate me.)

I started thinking about all this when I heard that MLK's wife Coretta Scott King had passed away. With her and Rosa Parks now gone, I feel like it's the end of an era. They and MLK gave me any kind of pride I had in being identified as black. I cried when I heard of each of these women's passing. They had a strength and determination that I think many people with social grievances today have replaced with self-entitlement.

My MLK biography sits on Gabe's bookshelf now. I'll catch a glimpse of it's torn binding now and then when we're picking out a book. I look at my family and I'm amazed at how times have changed from two little boys who couldn't play together because of their skin to a family like ours; two little boys who could very well be that one white boy and one black boy that MLK and his friend represented, but in our family, they are brothers.

I accept that I'm neither one or all of another. I don't fully experience the depth of either race, either. But that's my experience and that of many who are multiracial. We are a new group that can't be put into a box on paper or in someone's mind, and that's what people like the Kings and Rosa Parks fought for, for everyone.

Read about a side of Coretta Scott King that you don't often hear.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

MQ, I think it is fascinating that the characteristics which tortured us the most in our youth are those very things which make each of us so unique and special (both of which you are). Teen angst is so driven by the need to be exactly like everyone else; I think it's really not until we reach adulthood that we are psychically capable to accept our individuality.

Anyway, though, perhaps the strength of feeling that went into your (and my) feeling of being so outside the crowd will help you (us) to instill a greater sense of self-acceptance and individuality in our kids.

I also want to add, girlfriend, that THIS is the story you should be writing!

Jess Riley said...

That was a lovely, honest post. It reminded my of my own childhood tormentors...wonder whatever happened to them?

Anonymous said...

Jess, one hopes rotting in a trailerpark somewhere!
hehe

MQ said...

I think what helps all of us grow out of those deep insecurities is knowing that EVERYONE else felt the same way. I still have to remind myself of that when I go to an interview! :)

I wonder though if men feel the same way?...Men!? Speak up!

Marie: don't you think we are ten times the parents ours were? I know that sounds rather prideful, but I'm truly shocked at the things my parents didn't do, that I hold so important with my kids. Of course I don't do a lot of the things they pushed either, like CHURCH EVERY SUNDAY OR BURN IN HELL. Well, I guess time will tell how well we do as parents...

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

Do men feel the same way? Hell yes. I was one of like 5 "gifted" white boys that went to a primarily all african-american middle school, right around the time that "Revenge of the Nerds" came out. Nothing like going to get an ice cream sandwich to the chanting of "Nerds! Nerds! Nerds!" and not in a good way. The mix of being smart and being a different race was too much at times, however I think that most white people would benefit from a prolonged period of time as the minority. The perspective one gets is priceless. Of course now I'm proud of being a dork, because, primarily, we run this shit, but back then I would have given anything to not be 90 lbs, with glasses and a big ol' brain.

My son is 3 and gets pushed around by some of the kids at daycare, despite towering over them. It breaks my heart to hear about it, because I remember how scared I used to be when I was bullied, but at the same time, it's hard to explain to a 3 year old how to stand up for themselves.

Whenever I start to feel insecure, I remember how goddamned awesome I am and that goddamned awesome people don't get insecure.

Link away, fair lady. ;)

MQ said...

That's a POV I haven't heard yet. I was the opposite. One of maybe ten black kids in the school, bullied by big black women and one short mean asian. LOL. I went to my reunion and felt muuuuuuuch better.

But bullying has reached an entirely new level today. My husband broke up a fight between two highschoolers involving a knife soon after we moved to this place that's supposed to be a "safe" neighborhood. The worst I ever had was a slap in the face.

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for the short asian. She was mean. So sweet in junior high, so mean in high school. What happened? Hey, MQ, remember Zoey? Crazy girl didn't stop the eyeliner at the edge of her eye. Oh no, this eyeliner went down to her cheeks and did a few swirls. For MQ's size, she sure had a mean mouth if you crossed one of her friends. Sweet innocent me was just minding my own business wearing a nine inch nails t-shirt. They were my favorite band after all... Suddenly this evil Zoey made fun of shirt and being a preppy. "Die preppy bitch die..." MQ did not let her get away with it. I wonder what ever happened to her? Hair dresser at Fantastic Sams? Maybe the dreaded trailer park?

julie anna said...

I was always so skinny that I was nicknamed 'Ethiopian' in 5th grade. It's sad how young girls are so self-conscious. I know I was at that age. I bet you were such a beautiful child and never even knew it. My husband is Irish and has some Cherokee Indian in him, so of course he is HOT.