Thursday, February 16, 2006

Thursday Thirteen

Yes, I'm copying Jess Riley again, because she's cool and makes people laugh...

Thirteen things I should be doing right now but I'm not because I'm sleep deprived from having a sick two year old all week..

1) Bills - they are piling up like snowdrifts, but I figure I can wait a couple more days before I have to send a search party for my children.
2) Calling my sister - it was her birthday two weeks ago and I haven't called. I know. I am such a bad sister, but I sent her a check so I figure she probably hasn't missed the phone call.
3) Drying clothes - this is actually something that is going to make my house smell soon. I've had clothes in the washing machine for several days now. (WARNING - poop story ahead) Asher had the runs all over my bathroom floor on Tuesday as I was rushing them out to school/daycare so I could get a much needed massage. Towels, clothes, floor, my shoes, everywhere but the toilet. Why not in his diaper you ask? Well, because being the good mother that I am I saw him give me "the look."

"Do you have to go potty?" I ask him.
"Des," he says through his binki
"Let's go!" I cry, grabbing him, holding his body at arms length away from me (just in case) and leaping up the stairs two at a time.

I rip off the diaper. It's too late. He's going. Everywhere. I'm thinking, maybe it's just a couple of squirts. No. It continues until God's message that I will NEVER get a break this week, is repeating itself in my head like a Britney Spears song.

4) Researching for the article that up to this point I've been so diligent with - I'm stuck.
5) Watering Terry's plants - If they die while he's at war, he may divorce me
6) Hey, how about good old fashioned quality time with the kiddies? - Naw. They got the best years of my life. I don't owe them anything. :) Just kidding.
7) Writing beautiful words of thanks and love to all the people begging for photos of Terry in the field - I have actually printed the photos (a month ago) and I'm looking right at them. There you are. Be patient. You're low on the priority list.
8) Take the mountain of crap out of the trunk of Terry's commuter car - It's filled with stuff to go to the Goodwill. Since I don't drive it, it's become a storage unit. And the real bummer is I actually have to do something with that stuff because my neighbor is borrowing the car next weekend and some crap she gave me is in there. HAHAHAHAHA!
9) Groceries - we're getting low and my children are eating old b-a-n-a-n-a-s- (Think Gwen Stefani)
10) Make a doctors appointment - I'm being vague on that one...
11) Reading my new book Vanishing Acts - I need an escape from reality and the blog isn't cutting it.
12) Writing a letter of complaint to Bassett Furniture - I've called twice, my husband once while he was on leave. The overpriced chair we bought LAST YEAR is literally ripping at the seams. They keep telling us they'll repair it at no cost but right now they can't even pick up the phone. My manual on me says that it's the nagging to-do things that are the most damaging kinds of stress. Can I sue Bassett for undue hardship?
13) TAXES - I have far too many tax related documents on my desk. If for no other reason, say for example it's the law to file them, the paperwork cramping my usually OC style.

TaDa!

6 comments:

Jess Riley said...

I'm honored that you think I'm cool. :) Also, I loved that story of Terry in stirrups. And I'm in awe of a man with plants!


PS: my husband was standing behind me reading your post and announced, "She's a good writer." :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome book, I read it a while back. One of the subplots is really weird, though.

Sorry about Asher and hope he is feeling better soon. (You, too!)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I loved that one it made me with our COLD CRUD around here (for 4 nagging weeks) seem so simple. To me there is nothing worse than poop mess!! I don't do well, can't imagine with it on shoes and all. Hope Asher is WELL. I wrote in my xanga site. I must say I am not the writer that you are, but I can ramble about daily life. It is my form of journaling. Thanks for sharing your list....LOVED IT. I think mine is identical.

Heather Hansen said...

You left a comment so I had to scan through your site. Your kids are CUTE! Your hubby has been gone a while. Is he deployed a year?

On one of your posts you were talking about the "catty" wives. That made me laugh. Are you in base housing too? I don't mingle with the other wives. I just mind my own business.

My husband was gone at the begining of last year. He's slated to go this year for 6 month but I told him to get out of it. HA!

Brandon Cackowski-Schnell said...

I would add "have a beer" to that list. It would appear that you need one. If need be, I can have one for you. Go on, twist my arm.

MQ said...

Jess - I'm STILL laughing at the Valentine's Day story. Every once in a while I'll just bust up and my seven year old is like, "What? What's so funny" And ::blush:: thanks for the compliment.

Marie - it's funny that I picked up that book. I didn't realize it was on your list until I checked your blog. Looking forward to reading it. Congrats on finishing War and Peace. One of these days I'll do it...

Maryann - Can't wait to check out your site! Found out today that poor Ash has had an ear infection all this time - in both ears! ugh. Oh well, hopefully getting on antibiotics means we'll sleep tonight!

Heather - oh yes, we're a regular Wisteria Lane around here. But I've not spoken to the mean ladies on my block since one of their husband's decided to confront me. That's ok, I'm better off without friends like those. We don't live on base. I don't think I could handle being so immersed in the military. We're the lucky reservists who got thrown into active duty. And Terry will probably just stay in and finish his twenty. Hope yours gets to stay home!

SJ - Would it be too much trouble? If you don't mind, please go out with your wife and have a really good time and I'll live through you two. I actually got some Merlot today. It's going to be a nice evening ;)