Monday, January 30, 2006

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans)


He's gone again. Probably somewhere over the Atlantic right now.

At 6:30am he left to pick up his last Starbucks (Venti, quad, mocha!!!) and McDonald's for the boys and me. I couldn't eat much, robotically taking a few bites of pancakes.

Shannon met us at our house to offer moral support and immortalize the experience with a camera. How ironic that we document the pain, no?

She asked me how I was doing and I immediately broke down. I was holding it in all night long and that made me crack. But it was a neccessary release of pressure.

We saw him off this morning and his flight was delayed so it was bittersweet to lengthen the goodbyes. (It was nicely private though because Delta put us in their Crown room club, or whatever it's called. I think the only reason the dozen business men on their cells and laptops didn't mind our hyperactive kids was that Terry was in uniform.)


We hugged and kissed outside the elevator. He didn't want to see us off at the gate, it just gets too emotional to watch him take the "walk down the plank." I felt the need to tell him the things you would say to someone if it was the last conversation, I don't know why.

"I'm so glad we pushed through early parenthood, college, law school, grad school. I love you and wouldn't change a thing."

I suppose it has something to do with the title of this entry.

If I continually write about college, it's because it was our life for the first five years of our marriage. We were children raising a child. Shudder (And yet, Gabe scored in the 99th percentile for the NNAT just last month so I guess we did something right.)

I came home took a Valium and slept for four hours. (I had a TMJ incident during his leave. Haven't been able to close my jaw completely for a week now. The Valium is supposed to relax the muscle and allow the disk that was injured in my jaw, to slip back into place. Whatever, drugs that induce sleep are my best friend.)

It's strange because on the one hand, I'm ecstatic to know that we are in the final countdown to him coming home permanently, but also scared, like we're pushing our luck or something.

I took Heidi's advice and took a lot of pictures during his visit. I took NOT ONE of him coming home. I preferred to bask in the happiness of his return and not worry about getting a good shot :) But about half way into his leave I picked up the pace and took some pics and video, mostly of the boys wrestling.

13 comments:

Jess Riley said...

Oh, my heart goes out to you! Hang in there and take care of yourself...*hugs*

Heidi said...

Great photos . . . and a beautiful family!

MQ said...

Thank you. I'm amazed and humbled by the gift of having my husband and children sometimes...

Even though right now I can hear Asher flinging yogurt across the kitchen...

And I'm down to one last Valium. sigh
:O)

Anonymous said...

Monique,
I am so happy to read your blog and see how you are doing. Please keep it up. It looks like you and Terry had a wonderful time together. The pictures look just like i remembered of you and your family back in your college days (well, with the addition of little Asher). It was so normal, the smiles and the other emotions captured. I hope the remaining time apart just speeds along.
Take care of yourself!
CW

Anonymous said...

You got me all teared up.
Hang in there.
Love the picture with the mirrow!

Silver said...

Wow, he's gone again already??
I honestly thought he'd be home for longer!

Chin up girl, and let's get our 360 game on for a good distraction.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, girlfriend. This too shall pass... and the pics are beautiful!

xoxo,
me

Antek said...

I am sorry to hear that he is gone already... you have a BEAUTIFUL family and I hope that this is the last time that you guys have to part.

MQ said...

Thanks you guys. I never thought I would make friends over the Internet who would actually care about me! But your comments always encourage me and let me know that someone is thinking not only about me but the other families waiting for their soldier - and those who will never get them back.

I feel like the media tells us about the death of a servicemember in part to bolster the argument against Iraq, when really I don't think they pay enough attention our men and women out there. For example, look at all the attention that journalist is getting. My husband just shook his head like, yeah well this happens almost everyday to some poor soldier out there, you don't see their story every night for three days straight. A lot of times us family members just want to know that the rest of the country recognizes the sacrifices of time, careers, experiences. The guy changing my oil says, "tell your husband I wish him the best" A random note is left on my friend's car, "I served in Iraq, please let me know if you need anything." A friendly wave from another car after they see the blue star..I could go on, but this is just to show you that no matter how you feel about Iraq, the families appreciate the recognition and THAT is how you can really support a soldier. Especially the nat'l gaurd and reservists who are spread out, hundreds of miles away from the unit and family support groups, we get by on emails and the occasional phone call from the Army. Not much to be perfectly honest.

Mr.Silverblood: you'll have to teach me how to play, but I have to warn you I am SO bad at video games but it would be awesome to kick my husband's butt when he gets home :) And yes it was short, two weeks home then back to "The Suck" as he calls it.

Antek said...

I'll totally play too... my gamertag for xbox should be a bit obvious..

Capt Crash 31

Anonymous said...

Monique,
Stay strong.
Love is such a gift. Endure, maintain, love him, your kids and never regret or forget each and every precious moment.
I had the same exact reaction to the news coverage of the reporters injured in Iraq as your husband. Imagine that.
I know you will be figuratively holding your breath until you see him step off that plane again. Deep, slow breaths until then.
Holly

Silver said...

Moni, e-mail me at mrsilverblood@charter.net, and I can try to help you setup a Live account. Provided you don't have one already. :-D

Redneck Publius said...

I like your new colors on the blog! Good posts too.

Never lose the faith,
T