Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I got a new attitude

This was in my word-a-day email:

The wheel of time keeps moving. The old year goes away and the new yearclaims its place. There's a reason we call it the "wheel" of time. The word"annual" comes from the Latin annus meaning a circuit of the sun, hence a year.Flowers don't bloom any differently just because a new year has begun.Clouds move at the same pace whether it's a new day or a new century.Yet for humans these convenient markers along the trail of life are quiteconvenient.We brood about what happened yesterday. We plan things for the next week.And with a new year, we feel our knapsack of time is replenished. Again.What we missed doing last year we might be able to accomplish this time.And so the wheel turns.Ultimately, it's all relative. A story goes that a man prays to God.God appears and the man says, "Lord! Our billions of years are your onesecond. Our billions of dollars are merely a penny for you. Could yougrant me a penny?" God smiles, says "Certainly! Back in a second," anddisappears.May all your wishes be granted in the new year!

Haha! I love that line, replenishing our knapsack. I feel that way this year. The last couple of years have been emotionally swampy; my mom, Terry, adjustment to being "jobless" (I use that term loosely), but I am pushing myself to be optimistic for 06. Maybe this will be the year I get more active, write more, read more, and strengthen the bonds with my family.
Dare I list my goals? I do:

  • Take swimming lessons. I'm a terrible swimmer and I want to have a new form of cardio besides pounding endless miles on a treadmill going nowhere.
  • Take acting lessons. A totally new side of my brain to exercise.
  • And the usual goal to continue writing.

What are yours?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your goals are interesting, girlfriend. And I want to see pics of you with the bathing cap!

BTW, how do you like the Anita Shreve book? I was looking at it in the bookstore but put it back in favor of something else (which I am really enjoying). I liked some of her other work, but was disappointed in the endings. (But I'm so hard to please.)

xo,
me

MQ said...

I do like it! I'm about half way through. It's a little slow but heartwrenching at the same time. I'm expecting that it's building to something big. If not, I'll be disappointed. :) What did you choose instead of Light on Snow...?

Oh and is your ring blinding you?;P Can't wait to see it in person...

MQ said...

That was great. Thanks cheesecake.