Tuesday, November 15, 2005

In honor of LTC Tom Wren

So, today I went to the funeral for LTC Tom Wren. I did not know him, but he was a part of the 80th Division as my husband is. I went with my friend, wife in arms, Shannon. (Her husband is in Iraq as well) We vowed not to lose it during the funeral, and really just went to show support for the family as members of the 80th.

We arrived to the site early and watched a horse drawn cart carrying LTC Wren's body approach. I took a few pictures for his wife, on the advice of the woman who writes Learning to Live (linked on my blog). Shannon also suggested it. Her husband's West Point roommate was killed last year in Iraq. I never thought I would go to a funeral for this war.

As we walked to the actual grave site, I glanced at the white tomb stones (this is Arlington National Cemetery). They stood like soldiers at attention, bleached white, and they all read "Operation Iraqi Freedom." I sucked in the sadness that almost escaped my mouth, I just kept thinking about my husband, his men, our friends, Shannon's husband, Terry's late friend Tyler...

When Taps began I nearly cried again. It was all the more sad because just behind us another funeral had begun for yet another military man.

We didn't intend to go to the reception, feeling that was for close friends and family, but someone called to say they needed more food. We stopped by a store to pick up some cookies and ended up staying at the reception to help clean, express our condolences.

I asked Shannon to spend the rest of the day with me because I just did not want to be alone. We ran some errands together and ended up at my house watching TV and eating leftover Halloween candy.

I know it's so sad to think about all these incredible men leaving us, but we tell their stories to honor their lives because they're not really gone until they are forgotten.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, sweetie. xo, me

MQ said...

Hi Brenda, Absolutely you may have copies of the photos. I did not have your contact information or I would have already sent them to you (I only have Holly's address). There are four photos. I will contact LTC O'Connor and get your address and send them to you. (I don't want to post my personal information here.) Laurie will then have my contact information and you may reach me at any time for more copies. I can make as many as you would like. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. We still think and pray for you all each day.
Monique