Friday, August 19, 2005

Can you hear me now?

Whether it's the Election resembling class president, your mother-in-law, or a kid with a tshirt that says "F*** You", it's loud and clear - we all want to be heard. Take this blog for instance. I know someone, somewhere is reading this and it strokes my ego just a little bit to know that someone is hearing what I have to say. I started thinking about this about a month ago when we went to Six Flags and every other person was wearing a tshirt with some one liner on it.

"I dated Nick before Jessica"
"I'm cuter than your girlfriend"
"Why are you looking at me?"
"If you think I'm cute you should see my mom" and
"Vote for Pedro" My personal fav.

(Notice how they're all about image? Hmmm, maybe we all want to be SEEN)...

I call them Scream Tees. Particularly for women who are blessed in the chest, it's nearly impossible to look away, and worse you're breaking the 3 second rule of glancing there, because you're reading the freaking tshirt. For a woman, that's really disturbing. And yet, I have my own set of Scream Tees. Mine are "Chick in Charge" and "My boyfriend is my hero." (I couldn't resist). I'm certainly NOT blessed, breastfeeding took that away from me a long time ago, but still it draws the eye and I did consider it before buying, but isn't that the point? I want someone to know something about me. I like to be in control. And there's a guy in my life serving this country. That's not too much info right?

So I'm wondering. What if we gave out free Scream Tees when you voted? I think it's a great idea to get people to vote. And for goodness sake it's got to be more creative than. "I voted." And it must appeal to a larger demographic than MTV's viewers. I'm not their target audience anymore (which I realized means that I am "old" by Hollywood standards) and I would love a free tshirt but I'm not wearing a P.Diddy, Diddy, Puff Daddy or whatever his name is now, slogan on my chest. Maybe "My vote is better than yours." or "Absentees do it alone." or "I voted for Mickey Mouse" or we could fall back on "Vote for Pedro" and hand out copies of Napolean Dynamite.

Meanwhile, there is this woman in Texas who lost her son in Iraq and is protesting the war. She found a platform and is definitely using it. Not that I don't think she has every right to protest, hell I'd probably be screaming at someone too, but I think sometimes we are all waiting for an excuse to really get up and shout. Like it's something we always wanted to do but didn't feel we had earned the right to speak (she wasn't protesting before right?)

We all want make our voice be heard, because sometimes a Scream Tee just isn't enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, too much controversy on the other entry???