Monday, July 11, 2005

Dreaming of a three bedroom mansion

Here's another article for you to read to get a picture of the housing market we live in. It's on the NYTimes website so you may have to sign in to read it. (But, psst, if you read my blog everyday this article will be available to you FOR FREE. No billionth password to remember or obnoxious emails in your inbox from yet another web subscription. You read my blog everyday, you don't have to subscribe to read my cheesy article links.)

Yesterday we paid a visit to the local cespool, a.k.a. the state waterpark. I used to love these places but yesterday I felt like bathing in bleach when we got home. I was watching every place we stepped for fear of being attacked by a used bandaid or toilet paper stuck to the ground. Not only was it disgusting, but there was very little supervision on the slides, kids were shoving and cutting in line and I thought Asher and I were goners for minute. This park also has about a billion rules. No food in the park. If you buy the overpriced food you can ONLY eat it under the scantily shaded area. (We snuck an orange in anyway, gasp!) Oh, and you can only buy pizza, nachos or ice cream. What about those of us who don't want to die of heart failure at 35? The one that really irked me was that no babies with SWIM diapers could be in ANY of the pools except the baby pool. Cute, but when I'm spending $30 to be there, I don't want to leave my seven year old to the mercy of the animal children trampling through the water so my baby can piddle around in a baby pool. There is a high level of parental distrust. They don't trust you to watch your kids, they don't trust you to throw your garbage out (I'm assuming that's the reason for the no food rule, that or the government really wants us to die early to avoid paying social security to us, not that it matters because their won't be any left anyway). Well, trust me, I wont' be going back there!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, well, I think a lot of this "what you need to live well" is a bunch of marketing doo-doo. It requires you to live a life on someone's definition of what "well" means, which according to your last link included second homes, multiple new cars, exotic vacations, and designer duds. What *I* think of as living "well" is a manageable mortgage payment, no financial worries, going out to eat a couple of times a week, one nice vacation, and the ability to give my kids what they need. I would also like to help pay for college, but I'll leave all of the other stuff (including the mounting debt) for the neighbors....

Anonymous said...

PS: You WILL buy a house sooner or later, don't worry. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Okay when in Washington you must visit the aquatic center in Moses Lake (I know it doesn't sound like a GREAT place to visit....but wait), you can take your own food in, the water is very clean, their rules are only for the safety of swimmers in the pool areas, the cost is $20 or less for the entire day for our family of 4 and last but not least......you can BRING in your own food and actually eat it at their umbrella tables or eat while lounging in their wonderful lawn furniture.....to TOP it off....you can also purchase nacho's, pizza and ice cream if you desire that early heart attack!! HEE HEE. Yes, and swim diapers are required in ALL pool areas......I can't imagine getting into a pool where only babies in swim diapers could be...how absolutely INSANE.....Okay enough of my comments.

MaryAnn