Tuesday, July 31, 2007

One year home.


I forgot to remind you all. Ter's been home for ONE year!!! He landed at his demob site on July 29, 2006, but didn't get HOME, home, until a few days later. Can you freaking believe it? Don't believe the hype about the one year mark. Things are tough around here. Everything, the emotions, the nightmares, are just beneath the surface, thinly veiled by normal, suburban life. I realized that I think I fight with the old Terry, because the new Terry has a lot to deal with. That was a breakthrough. I'm the one who doesn't want to face the reality of what that year did to him, and to us. We are strong in a lot of ways, but trust me when I say his tour was not like most. All those guys where he was in Fallujah had a rough, rough tour, and I'm just so glad they're home. Well, all but two. And for those two, I'll never forget their survivors. I try to keep life in perspective and not get bogged down by trivial things, or even things not so trivial, but just not important enough to sweat over. Like the fact that I do not like my boss. Or that our car is breaking down and we can't really afford to buy a new one since we just bought a house. Or that I really miss my mom who will not travel because of her seizures. I mean, that stuff sucks, but she's alive right? I'm alive, my kids are healthy, I could be living with a lot worse you know?

For now celebrate with me, the anniversary of this one making it home.



And look us now..



The hottie on the far right is my little sis :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

those pictures are so cool. =)

the military has a way of making some things very important and other mean absolutely nothing, doesn't it??

and omg i have to say that white oleander is one of my favorite books too!! would it be weird to name my future daughter astrid?? =)

Nicole said...

It's good to remember...definitely keeps things in perspective. Hurray for one year :)

Muriel said...

The first year after deployment feels like the first year of marriage, mixted emotion of excitememt and the question....who is this guy???
Happy one year!!

kbug said...

Nice pictures of the homecoming and the family. It's funny how quickly time passes once they get home. Seth has been back for almost 9 months now, and it doesn't seem like it's been that long...but when he was gone that year, it seemed to last forever. I'm enjoying getting to see Seth on occasion when he comes into town to play with his brothers and when I get to go down his way. A two and a half hour drive is nothing compared to where he was this time last year. Enjoy having Terry home..... :)

Glo said...

I agree with Muriel. My husband has been home since Sept. Even after 19 yrs. there is a lot of reajusting. Memories and watching you wedding over and over helps.
I've become so independant and he give me permission to go in and out of a room. At first it made me mad ,but now we just laugh about it and go on.
Love and God bless

Heidi said...

Love the photos especially of the look at us now . . . can't believe how big the boys are getting!