Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Green

I hate to admit it, but all the green press has made me rethink my environmental attitude a little bit. At the commissary, I got paper instead of plastic. I used to dismiss their requests to use paper with a wave of my hand. "When you start making paper bags with handles, I'll start using them," I would say. It's really hard to carry 20 bags of groceries two at a time, up 10 stairs. But, I decided I would suck it up a little and do my part for the environment. I also decided to start turning off my computer at work, and I'm trying to at home. I set my thermometer in my house to 76 degrees.I switch off lights around my house, and we sold our big gas guzzler. I have my eyes set on a 2007 Camry hybrid.

I think what really got my attention was Live Earth. Now, I didn't actually watch any performances, I was just intrigued by all the hype, and because it had no real goal to accomplish but to tell all of us minions to conserve. I think they're all a bunch of hypocrites. But, I do think we are responsible for the earth, we DO waste far too much. Will it make a difference? I don't know. I think of it as little acts of kindness that I would do for a person, only I'm doing it for the sake of my children's future environment. I guess I'm an idealist in that I believe if we ALL did our part, we could make a difference. I don't know if I believe in all the DiCaprio/Gore doomsdayers though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who Killed the Electric Car changed me forever. I highly recommend it. I am even pissed at Hybrid car manufacturers. Bastards.

Muriel said...

I am with you. I do believe that it is our job to do our part to take care of this earth and protect it as much as possible. I have always been a tree huuger and I do not mind the jokes! We have taught the kids to recylcle and not throw their trash everywhere. What always p@#* me off (excuse my French...) is the fact that politicians use this as a platform and turn a good thing into a political circus.....Oh well....I'll get off my soapbox now....

Anonymous said...

Hi, Found u through Silver's blog.
In reference to your post "Green:"
You should read "State of Fear" by Michael Crighton. It was an okay book, but totally eye-opening as far as environmentalism is concerned.
I do believe though that everyone should do thier part..