Thursday, April 12, 2007

Imus v Sharpton

This is going to be quick since I have zero time to write anything truly thoughtful these days...

Al Sharpton came out blazing against Don Imus after his "nappy headed hos" remark, natch. Sharpton is a loud-mouthed, well-fed, media addict, IMHO, who will side with anything that involves a camera and a person of color. (And for those of you who don't know, I'm part black, too, so I am not a racist who dislikes him because he defends African Americans. I dislike him because he discredits everything, abuses and wastes his power.) I don't know any real good that he has done in recent times, but to alert me to an impending press circus show, with him as the main act.

But I was gleeful watching Meredith Viera call out his hypocrisy with regards to the hip hop industry. She held him to the question of why he hasn't pressured rap artists as hard as other, let's just say it - white people - about their racist remarks. THANK YOU MEREDITH. Black men have been calling black women hos, blatantly, on heavy rotation, in live audiences and music videos for decades now, but do you see Al Sharpton holding a press conference demanding 50 Cent's apology? No. It's total hypocrisy. Do you know what Sharpton said in response? He totally dodged and said, "Well, there are people not in the black community using that language in music." And your point is "Reverend" Sharpton???? Should we hang them first and let black rap artists "express themselves" to the point of bringing them to an awards show on a leash? (And where are all of our feminists when we need them?)

I seethe whenever I hear bitches, hos, etc. in music. Yes, yes, someone's going to comment that they have a right to say it, but I think the public should tune out and tell radio stations we don't want to hear women being treated this way anymore, because, my hopeful little heart believes that most of us DON'T want our daughters being called these degrading names, or our sons spewing them from their mouths. And I don't know much about Imus, but what a jackass. He should look in the mirror.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Yeah it's been a real struggle lately to decide whether or not these loud-mouthed and obnoxious celebrities are just exercising Amendment 1 or are crossing the line. (ie Imus, Rosie) I completely agree with you on Sharpton. I watch Glenn Beck on CNN pretty regulary but am a little disgusted that he keeps trotting out Sharpton. Sharpton loves the sound of his own voice and anyone who tunes into Imus ought not to be so surprised...he's been obnoxious forever!

Heidi said...

I think you said what a lot of people think . . . Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and his Rainbow group get on my nerves . . . they are so quick to get media attention. It just drives me crazy . . . glad Merideth V. dimed him out!

Anonymous said...

Between Al Sharpton and Jeese Jackson I don't know whose worse. Did we get together and vote those two our National Spokesmen for black people cause I must have missed that vote. What I don't understand is why peole keep talking to them as if they represent us and the way we think about issues!? Am I offended by what Imus said Yes but he's a shock jock and it's what he does. If the media would stop talking to them they would simply go away! WHEW I really needed to get that off my chest

sweatpantsmom said...

Great post! This is one of the most articulate, intelligent commentaries I've heard on this issue yet.