Friday, November 11, 2005

Veteran's Day...Still in our hearts

Gabriel had a Veteran's Day program today at school. They sang songs, gave speeches and even were honored with the presence of members from the local VFW. While the parents were slowly filing out the door, I passed the vets by, wanting to say something but feeling silly and well, without words. They were talking to the principal and other teachers so I just went on my way, pushing Asher towards the elevator.

My husband was getting to know another CPT, Tyler Swisher, and looking forward to remaining friends after they returned home from Iraq. Sadly, Tyler was killed, along with several other Marines not too many weeks ago. (They lost seven men that week, it was a bad one.) While I was reading about Tyler in the news link my husband sent me I ran across this tribute to one of the other soldiers killed in the same incident.

The following was written by Ben Cockerham, father of fallen Marine Benny Gray Cockerham III.

Gray died Friday in Iraq.

Gray is my favorite color. Every morning Just before the rising of the sun the world is Gray. Expectant and hopeful for opportunities; anticipation embodied. Half sunshine half rain, Poised to run either direction, the shape of things are formed with a shift of the wind.

The Clouds and Sun battle for the dominance of bright sky and dark cloud. On occasion, when the conditions are just right. Perfect balance is achieved and Gray is born.

It happened once on June 28, 1984 on a Marine Corps Base in California. The Navy nurse said, "Why would anyone name a child like this Gray. You should call him Sunshine." She was not present at the birth in the early morning. She was not present during the struggle of labor in the predawn. She was unaware that Gray is Sunshine and Cloud, the personification of this child.

Gray is the blur of perpetual motion, on to the next as the first is done. With fingers spread wide in the relaxed sleep of Angels, Gray is the color of Down, soft and peaceful readying for the next race. Always in a hurry, nothing left behind, no regrets.

Gray is the color of Ocean, reflected in the wonder of a child's eyes, the color of a Thunderstorm, adolescence in all its rage and glory. Gray is the clear gleam of Steel reflected from the determination and pride of a Marine's face. Gray is Smoke, rising form from a chimney guiding you home promising comfort.

On Oct. 21, 2005 in a place called Zaidon, Al Anbar Province, Iraq, protecting those less able, Cpl. Benny "GRAY" Cockerham III, USMC, became dark to Gray no more.

Gray is my favorite color and if you get a chance in the predawn light, as you wait with anticipation the coming day, look anew at Gray. When you do I hope this helps you remember to: Live life with wonder, ready to change with the shift of the wind. When you must fight, do so with all the fury you possess. Be in constant motion and leave no regrets. Truly relax when time permits for the next race must be run. Be determined in all you do because this determines your success. Appreciate the home fires; family should come before all things. Love unconditionally and sacrifice as if you were Gray.

Semper Fidelis,

Dad

To Tyler, Gray, and LTC Wren. We'll remember you everyday, not just Veteran's Day. To my husband; I miss you and stay strong. I'll never pass by another vet without a sincere thanks.

One of the songs the second graders sang today says it best, and brought many of us to tears to hear their sweet voices sing these words:

Still in my heart, you are
Still in my heart, you are
Still in my mind. Still in my dreams
Still in my heart. Forever.
Forever.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I saw the comment you left on my blog (Learning to Live) . . . if you have specific questions please feel free to email me at haduty@aol.com . . . I would be more than happy to help how ever needed. Tomorrow marks one year that my husband was killed. First, pass on that there is a group called Gold Star Wives . . . they have a private chat room for widows of OIF and OEF . . . please don't hesitate to contact me.

Anonymous said...

Jeepers, I am sobbing.

I love you guys. Please take care.

xo, Marie