Friday, July 08, 2005

Checkmate, mom

Gabe taught me how to play chess. And beat me three times in a row. Once it only took him FIVE MOVES. I am so embarrased and proud, it's a weird mix of emotions let me tell you. He's been playing for a few months now and goes to this Chess Club at a library that's practically on the other side of the world. I'm hoping his handsome good looks balance out this love of chess and Star Wars fixation.

Don't lie to yourselves people, we all worry about our kids being the nerdy outcast. While yes, it is true that the nerds rule the world (Bill Gates) some of them end up emotional psychotics too. I want him to be well balanced and I think he's headed that way. He loves video games, but will sit and read for 30 minutes no problem (that's 29 minutes more than his peers). He doesn't care if his clothes are smelly and don't match, but he won't let me touch his hair once it's just right. He will still hug and kiss me on demand, but he can wield a lightsaber with the best jedi. Sigh. He's just perfect. Asher we can't tell yet, but he's pretty darn cute so I'm not worried. :)

Now, let's switch gears and talk about London's attack. My funny friend (see link on right side) talks briefly about this. I have so much anger when I see that. It's not like the people that are killed are soldiers, they're just average human beings on their way to make a dime to pay for their kids' college or mortgage, save for a vacation or volunteer in the community, hell even just going grocery shopping. It's so EVIL to harm innocent people like that, there must be a special place in hell for terrorists. And it does bring a tiny tiny bit of satisfaction to know that our family is working to get rid of these crazy extremists. But the cynical side of me knows that there's nothing you can do to stop someone who is willing to die for their cause. If they want to strap a bomb on their butts and drive into the middle of a city or ride the bus, whaddya gonna do? Identify them? How, without profiling or putting cities in a military state? I don't think about it most of the time. But living where we do, I definitely am more careful on days like yesterday.

No comments: