Sunday, May 08, 2005

Deployment day

I'm starting this blog to document our family's experience with deployment to Iraq. It's free therapy for me, news for you who know us, and maybe an education for those of you who don't.

Sidenote:Terry is Arthur, Arthur is Terry - just a nickname I've always called him. If you're lucky enough to be in our circle of trust, maybe you'll be allowed to call Arthur "Terry" also :)

Every day for the past two weeks has been like a timer, ticking away the days of freedom we had left. But we've taken Mrs. Sherbine's approach (Gabe's former Kindergarten teacher) and "made memories." We've taken a few family trips, ate out A LOT, and just hung around the house in our p.j.'s when we felt so inclined. But today had to come and between the tears, we saw him off with his men. Gabe had a harder time with it than I thought he would. He cried for a few minutes when the bus pulled away and kept asking "Why does daddy have to go? Can someone else do his job with the Army?" Asher sensed it too - he stopped squirming and just accepted the hugs and kisses from his dad.

I suppose it goes without saying that in the few hours since he's been gone, I have a new appreciation for all the men and women who have already served over there, and empathy for the families left behind - particularly for the Guard and Reserve families.

Terry is sad to leave his family, but proud to do his part. For the next several weeks he'll be training before he leaves to go overseas. He's such a horse (that's for you Mike). I'm going to try and work out a schedule for my days and just keep myself and the boys busy until I see him again.

p.s. thanks Uncle Sam for a great Mother's Day

No comments: